KICKS good morning screen

The screen you see when you start KICKS is the KSGM transaction. Did you know you can replace the KSGM transaction with another one ?


The above screen is the default KICKS screen, or better say map ? It doesnt matter, as long as you understand what I am trying to tell you.

Now, the KSGM transaction, of wich you have the source code available in hlq.KICKSSYS.V1M5R0.COBOL dataset, and the MAPSET dataset, can be altered and recompiled if you like to have a different screen.


Above you can see my KICKS screen. The reason for change is that I also want to see some figures on my login screen. In my case I created a user to user message system, (will be covered in another blog post) and like to see if I have a new message waiting for reading. Also I like to see if there are new helpdesk tickets are been created. What would be a better place than the KSGM screen ?

It is possible to change the default one, or create a new one, what I did, and use that as the startup transaction is to create new one, BSGM. Of course I added it to the PPT and PCT tables, and changed the SIT table to start the new good morning screen.

              PLTPI=KSGM, first transaction 


If you change the PLTPI to read your desired transaction code, it will start that after logging on to KICKS. You can find the SIT table in HLQ.KICKSSYS.V1M5R0.INSTLIB. Or, a better practice is to copy the member to another dataset, and use that to make modifications.

How you change the program ?

Well, its not different from other transactions. In the blog you can already find a COBOL sample, and a BMS mapping instruction. The COBOL sample shown here, can be modified to display your new map, and do additional tasks.























No comments:

Post a Comment